Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

On 09/05/07 17:55 +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag said ...
> I filed a lintian wishlist bug (#527363) requesting a I/W tag when non
> documentation packages recommend documentation packages.
>
> With Install-Recommends being the default, many packages pull in a lot of
> associated documentation.  These documentation packages are sometimes large
> and could be suggested rather than recommended.  I noticed different opinions
> about such bugs on the BTS (See #504042 that went on to be fixed and #526153
> that was not).  I understand that upstream would sometimes like documentation
> to be installed alongside the binaries, but popcon numbers of -doc packages
> are quite lower the numbers corresponding to the packages that recommend them.
>
> Would there be any objections to filing minor/wishlist bugs against these
> packages?  I am including a tentative dd-list corresponding to the packages
> [1] that I found after manually removing some packages [2].  I will modify it
> based on suggestions.

Based on the responses, I will not file bugs on all these packages and also
see if my request for lintian check makes more sense if it is refined.

Thank you all for the comments.

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://people.debian.org/~appaji/