Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 04:06:47PM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> (07/05/2009):
> >   As a practical matter, downgrading these dependencies will cause
> > aptitude and other package managers to believe that the documentation
> > is unnecessary and suggest removing it.
>
> So that one has a chance to notice possibly unneeded doc? Works for me.

You don't need to wait for these dependencies to be changed to notice
possibly unneeded docs:

    deborphan -n --guess-doc | grep -- '-doc$'

The need to grep for doc packages for this use case can be avoided after
a option to ignore libraries has been be added to deborphan, which will
happen when tags replace sections in Debian or, if requested, earlier.

Carsten