Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:10:13PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> But moving the 32-bit libs to /usr/lib32 does not make us
> standards-conformant on amd64, because the FHS (yuckily) standardized on
> storing the *32-bit* libs in /usr/lib on this architecture, with 64-bit libs
> in /usr/lib64.

That is true, which means that someone will undoubtedly file FHS-violation bugs
on anything using /usr/lib32 after such a transition.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:53:21AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
>
> It is high time to change to the multiarch dir. For that gcc needs to
> be fixed first so compiling 32bit code does not break. Transitioning
> to /usr/lib32 will just needlessly break systems.

The rest of this thread gives me the impression that
1) there is precious little chance that multiarch will happen anytime reasonably soon
2) there is no point in using multiarch directories instead of /usr/lib32 prematurely

Aurélien and I are talking about switching to /usr/lib32 somewhere around the time
that (E)GLIBC hits sid.

Are we going to have multiarch soon so that project can be abandoned?