Re: dpkg-shlibdeps question

On Fri, 01 May 2009, Jiří Paleček wrote:
>> should
>> almost never happen (except diversion) and the result when it happens is
>
> Should I read it as "the only legal situation where it returns multiple
> packages are diversions (the rest are errors)" or "the majority of
> situations ... are diversions", ie. does it make sense to return multiple
> packages in the absence of diversions?

dpkg -S can return multiple packages for directories too since they can be
shared by many packages but in the case of real files AFAIK it can only
happen with diversions.

> Yes, but I think this is unattainable. Especially when doing transitions,
> you're not likely to have both packages in sync.

I don't see why it would be so difficult. Diverting a file means that you
have a drop-in replacement and I don't see why you couldn't provide
dependencies that are compatible (even if not exactly the same).

> I just wanted to know if it would be OK for dpkg-shlibdeps to use only
> one package for a library (eg. in case of diversions, use dpkg-divert to
> find the right one) and fail in case of ambiguity.

What is the right one, the non-diverted one ?

I think it would be ok for dpkg-shlibdeps to choose the right package
based on some clearly-documented criteria. I don't think that failing is
a good idea.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/