Re: make-kpkg and 2.6.29.2 vanilla sources

On Sun, 3 May 2009 10:14:57 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> Hi you all,
>
> I am using vanilla sources to build a debian RT custom kernel using
> make-kpkg.
> Compiling goes very nice and ends up with a deb kernel package but make-kpkg
> does't generate initrd using --initrd option! I had to generete it by hand
> with update-initrams and the put the corresponding line to menu.lst in order
> to boot.

It's a change happened in 12.001, and sid now has 12.013:

kernel-package (12.001) experimental; urgency=low
[..]
  * Image postinst no longer runs a boot loader

    Note that this was already the case for grub, one of the more popular
    boot loaders.

    Now that we have a mechanism for running arbitrary scripts when the
    image packages are manipulated, we can stop embedding the boot loader
    actions in the package itself. This means that lilo, elilo, etc will
    no longer be run directly by the post isnt, and all the code related
    to detecting the boot loader, managing the configuration, and adding
    bits about bootloader documentation is all removed from the
    postinst. This allows the image package to be more flexible, since the
    end user is no longer restricted to the actions encoded in the image
    package. This is a fairly large change.
[..]
  * The image postinst no longer runs the initramfs creation
    commands. Instead, there are example scripts provided that will
    perform the task. These scripts will work for official kernel images
    as well.

 -- Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>  Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:05:40 -0500

Kindly,
David