Re: Thoughts on keeping a 3.0 (quilt) package in RCS

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:48:58AM +0200]:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently converted a few quilt using local packages to the new 3.0
>> (quilt) format. Additionaly those packages are kept in an RCS
>> (mercurial here). Now the problem is: How to version control them?
>>
>> The new format allows one to just edit the source and build it. No
>> creation of patches neccessary as dpkg-source creates them for you.
>> Obviously it is a good idea to give patches a descriptive name instead
>> of debian-changes-version but that is easy enough to do after a test
>> build. The ease of creating new patches is just so much fun.
>>
>> But how/what do I add and commit to the RCS?
>>
>> 1) everything
>> (...)
>> 2) only unpatched sources + debian
>> (...)
>> Currently I think the second option is more sane. What are your
>> thoughts?
>
> I believe having each patch as a separate, trackable and
> self-described entity is better. I maintain several packages, both on
> my own and as part of a team work. Whenever there are modifications to
> be made to the upstream sources, I prefer storing them as quilt
> patches - Not as changesets (or feature branches or anything like
> that) on my VCS. I value having them as understandable units in my
> source package, in case I go missing or somebody wants to understand
> it by only checking there. Yes, I know I could describe the package
> should be cloned from a given repository in my README.source, but I do
> feel it is much clearer if the source package has the complete
> information, and the VCS-based packaging has only the packaging
> evolution over time.
>
> ${vcs}-buildpackage scripts keep your base directory clean, so I don't
> see it as a huge administrative penalty to keep my patches in
> debian/patches. Yes, I have to apply them in order to work on one of
> them, but debian/rules clean takes care of leaving everything ready
> for a clean build.

I think you missed the bit about using 3.0 (quilt) format.

With that you do have debian/patches/... with quilt patches. But no
patch/unpatch targets in rules as dpkg-source handles that. After
unpacking or clean the patches will all be applied. A state not
neccessarily best for commiting to VCS.

MfG
        Goswin