Re: One-time cron output?

Hello,

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 23:50 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 11:28 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to gather some opinions on this matter. I’ve recently applied
> > to the mlocate package a patch I received to skip running the daily
> > update of the database if the system is running on batteries.
> [...]
>
> I think such a policy should be implemented by the cron daemon or by a
> common script, rather than by each package with a cron job.

It would be nice if [some of] those delayed jobs could be launched when
the laptop is connected back to power socket.

This could be achieved by dropping a flag when a job is skipped (a
symlink to the cron.d entry?)

Note that since the laptop batteries are lasting longer and longer, some
people won't connect their laptop during the day. (I now tend to work
plugged for 1h in the morning, then a few hours during the day as I
travel, then a few hours in the evening. I plug the laptop back into the
main before going to bed)

my 2cents,

Franklin