Multi-instance startup scripts

Dear fellow Linux users,

I would like to address an issue which has been a thorn in my side for
a long time. Recently I made multi-instance scripts for some server
packages like Apache, etc. I also noticed, that the PowerDNS package
has a m.i. script provided.

I, however, do not have the capacity to constantly repackage all the
packages as new versions come out. I'm fairly sure I can get an ok for
it from my superiors, so I would like to offer my scripts and coding
skills to the community if we could agree on a standard schema for the
alternate configuration files. Please also send me the list of
packages, you would like to see modified in this manner.

I propose two variants:
- Gentoo-style: (dot separator; symlinks)
/etc/init.d/apache2, /etc/apache2
vs.
/etc/init.d/apache2.alt->(symlink)->/etc/init.d/apache2 and
/etc/apache2.alt

- PowerDNS-style: (dash separator)
/etc/init.d/pdns vs /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor

Please note, that I'm unfamiliar with Debian (development) customs, so
please apologize if I violated protocol. ;)

Yours sincerely

--
Janos Pasztor
business@janoszen.hu