Re: lilo about to be dropped?

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:24:54 -0500
William Pitcock <nenolod@sacredspiral.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 16:17 +0200, Harald Braumann wrote:
> > Yes, I do and it works without problems. There are some
> > inconveniences, though, with grub2, which might make some stick
> > with LILO:
>
> The LVM support in LILO is hideously broken, so these arguments do not
> really matter.
Works for me.

> It only works in certain conditions and is known to
> break horribly if you have say, a kernel spanning multiple PVs.
>
> Only a true idiot boots off an LVM volume anyway,
You're too nice. Anyway, boot is the least important partition. Any
live CD or USB installation will do to recover.

> since there is risk of metadata corruption, etc.
What metadata are you talking about, and what's it got to do with the
boot partition?

> > The is no simple configuration file that one could edit. You have to
> > write scripts to add entries.
>
> /boot/grub/{menu.lst,grub.conf} is hard to edit...?
No, but since grub2 doesn't use those, your statement is moot. So are
the following.

> > You can't specify the default entry (only the number of the entry,
> > which changes if a new kernel is installed) and there is no
> > vmlinuz/vmlinuz.old (unless you add a script that adds these
> > entries)
>
> "default X" in the config file, and "setdefault", works for me.
>

> > You can't specify boot options per entry (there's only a global
> > option in /etc/default grub, that applies to all entries).
>
> Sure you can, just don't use update-grub(1) and update it yourself
> instead. Same as lilo, really.
>
> William

harry