.tdeb format (DEP-4: The TDeb specification.)

> > Package management tools need a way to tell a .deb from a .tdeb - the
> > two need to be handled differently by tools like dak, britney, apt,
> > dpkg, reprepro, deb-gview and others.

> Do you mean that package management tools need a way to tell a > traditional/current .deb from a package containing what the DEP proposes > to put in a .tdeb?
In a similar way to udebs. The .tdeb needs to be handled differently by
package management tools (things like reprepro and dak) so that uploads
of TDebs can be made by translation teams, so that the existing source
package is not affected, so that TDeb uploads can more easily be made
during a release freeze without causing problems for archive management
software and without needing the tools to look inside the TDeb or rely
solely on a version suffix.
Yes. I think a translation package could simply be identified by a control field.
Say
Translates: foo
or, if Translates would only list the source package,
Translation: Yes
> If you're only talking about the tdeb format per se, > I don't understand your reasoning.

Other tools may need to support the locale roots in the .tdeb - these
changes will be easier if the tool can rely on these only existing in
a .tdeb instead of occurring in random .debs but not in others.
But these locale roots would only exist in .tdeb-s. In .deb-s, there wouldn't be such locale roots. If we're wondering whether we should introduce a .tdeb format, we shouldn't reason that that there will be a need for .tdeb if .tdeb is introduced.