Re: new virtual package: "readline-editor"

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 12:44:54PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Heya, we have several packages implementing line-editing
> capabilities. I know at least 3 of them: "cle", "ledit", and
> "rlwrap", but there might be others.

Oh yes. Hmm... cle is dead upstream, rather buggy with no progress
whatsoever in a very long time; it was mainly useful before rlwrap
appeared in the real world (not as C source code in
/usr/share/doc/libreadline-dev/examples/, but in /usr/bin/), so I'd
think we should rather remove it.

> (...) they all seem to offer a common interface "NAME command" that
> will run command equipped with line editing capabilities.

> Some packages benefit generically from line editing capabilities
> without caring about the actual tool implementing it. (...)

> I hereby propose to introduce a new virtual package called
> "readline-editor" [1] provided by all tools offering line editing
> capabilities as a command wrapper.

For the rest, yes, sure, that's good progress.

--
Lionel