Re: lilo about to be dropped?

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon Apr 06 08:55, Frans Pop wrote:
>> > This is a heads up mail for the D-I team.
>>
>> I'm not sure where the original mail comes from, but IMO this should be
>> discussed on d-devel, especially since it impacts more than just D-I. I
>> suspect there are quite a few packages that make some sort of provisions
>> for lilo.
>> There are also significant numbers of people still using lilo for, at
>> least for them, very good reasons.
>
> Yes, please do discuss it here. I am one of those users, grub didn't
> work on one of my machines for some reason.
>
> Anyway, isn't grub1 equally unmaintained upstream? I thought they were
> only working on grub2 (which isn't ready for use yet, or is it?)

So lets get grub2 working everywhere. :) A worthy goal.

>> > Don't we have some install paths that still depend on LILO?
>>
>> Yes: /boot on LVM is the main one.
>
> We _certainly_ shouldn't throw it out if there are _known_ situations
> for which it's required.

We just shouldn't have /boot on lvm. At least there should be one
place outside lvm to store /etc/lvm/archive and /etc/lvm/backup so
that in the case lvm breaks (gets broken by the user) one can repair
it. Linking them to /boot/lvm/archive and /boot/lvm/backup with /boot
outside lvm seem like a good idea.

The problem with /boot on lvm is that moving or resizing it can break
it. So I always found it a good partition to keep outside lvm.

> By all means print large warnings or only make it available in expert
> mode, or whatever, but please don't break existing functionality.
>
> Matt
> --
> Matthew Johnson

MfG