Perhaps programs should create the subdirectories they use for their temporary files

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 01:54:07AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> > contact a running daemon.  Could you explain what policykit uses /var/run
> > for, and educate me a bit on why D-Bus services have to put things in
> > /var/run but don't have init scripts?
>
> PolicyKit stores credentials in /var/run/PolicyKit which are of temporary nature
> and are automatically cleaned up on boot.

I maintain a lot of systems that run on CompactFlash cards of a few GB, but
also have 1 or 2 GB of RAM. I mount a tmpfs over /var/cache/apt/archives, so I
can upgrade the system without using a large amount of space on flash, and to
prevent wear. Apt always complains about /var/cache/apt/archives/partial not
being there, so I either have to write an init script that creates it after the
tmpfs is mounted, or (what I normally do is to) have a small script to perform
updates, which creates the missing directories.

The problem is that some programs (apt-get, PolicyKit, etc.) store temporary
files in /var/run or /var/cache in their own subdirectories, but expect
something else to create these directories for them. I think we should require
these programs to create their own subdirectories at runtime. It is very simple
to add an mkdir() command to these programs. If the directory already exists,
it is a no-op.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>