Re: DEP-4: The TDeb specification.

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:46:48 +0100
Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Neil Williams writes ("Re: DEP-4: The TDeb specification."):
> > On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:06:35 -0400
> > Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What is the purpose of creating a new binary package format for this (as
> > > opposed to reusing, say, the deb format)?
> >
> > To support easier management of the translations, including allowing
> > users to only install the translations that are needed for one
> > particular installation, instead of every user getting every
> > translation for every package they install, whether those translations
> > are even supported or not.
>
> This would be easier to analyse if the reasoning behind the tdeb
> specific changes was clearly explained.
>
> Also, are we supposed to be reading this:
>  http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep4/

The DEP, please, yes.

I'll update the DEP with the answers to any questions that arise.

> or this:
>  http://wiki.debian.org/i18n/TranslationDebs

Ah, good point - that's a very old page so not that one. There is some
useful stuff on that so I don't think we should just remove the entire
thing or replace it with the DEP (defeats the point of the DEP to turn
it back into a wiki page with all problems of duplication).

I'll work on some edits tomorrow unless someone else takes the
opportunity.

> I think rebuilding the whole package as a binNMU just because of a
> translation change is something that should be avoided.  Translation
> uploads should not be able to change non-translation content.
>
> One problem that I think you need to address is the
> /var/lib/dpkg/<package>.list files.

Yes, that needs to be folded into the changes within dpkg so that when
a TDeb is installed, the actual filename installed on the system goes
into the /var/lib/dpkg/info/$package-tdeb.list file - the $package.list
file would already have had the relevant content removed because the
version of $package using the TDeb would not contain translated content.

--

Neil Williams