Participate in development

Hi everyone,
I'm a computer science student at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. And I was searching for some open source project to contribute to. So I read about Debian and read couple of documentation at Debian wiki and I subscribe to Debian wiki. Now I need to know how to start or how can I get involved in a development work for Debian. I need your help. Please also let me know how can I start coding and how can I improve my coding and programming skills as I go on. Can any beginner join this development community easily? I expect your kind reply
thank you.