Re: [Amendment] Reaffirm the GR process

On 24/03/09 at 00:29 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > PROPOSAL START
> > General Resolutions are an important framework within the Debian
> > Project, which have served us well since the first GR vote in 2003,
> > with 804 developers, nearly has much as today slightly over 1000
> > developers.
> >
> > Therefore the Debian project reaffirms its attachement to the
> > constitution and the current General Resolutions process.
> > PROPOSAL END
>
> IMO this deserves to be an explicit option on the ballot. It makes for a
> much clearer choice than having "further discussion" fulfill that role.
>
> OTOH, I think the text of the amendment could be improved as the GR from
> Ganneff does not really change the GR _process_ but only the requirements
> regarding nr. of seconders.
>
> I'd second a somewhat revised text, for example:
>    Therefore the Debian project confirms the current requirements for
>    the sponsoring (seconding) of GR proposals or amendments, and for
>    overruling of delegates.
>
> I'll not comment on the accuracy of the first para.

Indeed, the numbers are clearly questionable. Maybe it shouldn't include
them, and also provide a sketch of justification for refusing the
change?
Something like:
<---
General Resolutions are an important framework within the Debian
Project, which have served us well for years. While over those years,
some problems have arised during the discussion and/or voting of some
resolutions, there is no evidence that changing the number of sponsors
(seconds) for GR proposals or amendments will help solve those problems.
Instead, by making it harder to propose general resolutions or
amendments, it might make it harder to improve imperfect resolutions, or
to add valuable options to a ballot.
--->