Re: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

In particular, I observe that we (IIRC) already have psuedo-parsing
code which is used at least by packages.d.o to render as proper HTML
lists the pseudo-lists which come from long descriptions.

Not that I know of.  IMHO it is just set verbose (<pre>) just checking
the a2ps example which was mentioned here:

<h2>GNU a2ps - 'Anything to PostScript' converter and pretty-printer</h2>
GNU a2ps converts files into PostScript for printing or viewing. It uses a
nice default format, usually two pages on each physical page, borders
surrounding pages, headers with useful information (page number, printing
date, file name or supplied header), line numbering, symbol substitution
as well as pretty printing for a wide range of programming languages.
Historically, a2ps started as a text to PostScript converter, but thanks
to powerful delegations it is able to let you use it for any kind of files,
ie it can also digest manual pages, dvi files, texinfo, ....
Among the other most noticeable features of a2ps are:
<pre>

 - various encodings (all the Latins and others),
 - various fonts (automatic font down loading),
 - various medias,
 - various printer interfaces,
 - various output styles,
 - various programming languages,
 - various helping applications,
 - and various spoken languages.
</pre>

But please check that your convention matches such a markup language
and please say explicitly so in your proposal.

This is definitely intended but I'm not an example of those markup
languages.  That's why I said:

    1. Defines some kind of standard which can be parsed automatically.
    2. Does not break any existing tool

If there is an existing markup language which fits this feature I'd definitely
vote for it.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--