Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

* Noah Slater:

> If you're telling me that the FTP masters would be happy with blanket license
> statements for a package, what is stopping you from using the existing format to
> say something along the lines of:
>
>   Files: *
>   Copyright: Copyright 2008, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org>
>    Copyright 2008, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org>
>    Copyright 2008, Christopher Lenz <cmlenz@apache.org>
>    Copyright 2008, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org>
>   License: Apache-2.0
>    On Debian systems the full text of the Apache License (Version 2) can be found
>    in the `/usr/share/common-licenses/Apache-2.0' file.

Files: share/www/script/json.js
License: PD
 In the public domain.

This file does not exist.

The file NOTICE contains this hint:

| This product includes software developed at
| The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

I'm wondering if this should be reflected in the copyright file (and
if the NOTICE file should be installed in the binary package, in case
the binary package ends up on different media than the sources).

I don't think this is a significant problem, but it probably means
that the machine-readable copyright file format is, in itself, not a
solution.