Re: DEP-4: The TDeb specification.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:31:29AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Why should 3.0 be any more difficult than 1.0 or anything that follows?
> (Not that I have any particular desire to use 3.0 or quilt myself.) 3.0
> has to deal with incorporating patches and changes from the BTS, so
> +t1.diff.gz is no different. In Squeeze+1, the changes are restricted
> to debian/po or po/ for native Debian packages so there is no need to
> do anything with 3.0 until Squeeze+2.

So you already see a need to change TDebs again?

I'm definitely not on your level of dpkg knowledge, so please forgive me
if I'm talking nonsense here. But I feel like introducing a new diff.gz
after finally getting rid of those with 3.0 (quilt) is a bit of a
regression. Can't dpkg-source sort out the po files [1] and put them in
an additional package-version.tdebian.tar.(gz|bz2|lzma)? That way i18n
and translators can always download all translation files without any
code, then change them if needed and upload again (the tdeb would have
to be built before, of course). That would make tdebs only work with
source format 3.0 but since it's going to be default soon I don't see a
problem (but maybe the entire suggestion is nonsense :)).

> What matters is that the maintainer gets the +t1.diff.gz and applies it
> onto the source package prior to the next upload. It's no different to
> how the same maintainer would handle a patch or new translations
> file sent to the BTS. I'm quite sure various tools and scriptage will
> be devised to help with different workflow patterns before Squeeze+2.

How is the maintainer supposed to get the +t1.diff.gz? Have dget, apt
et alii have to deal with multiple +tX.diff.gz or should the maintainer
look those up at PTS? I don't see the workflow here (and again I'd see a
win in a seperate tarball as suggested above since it's always one
tdebian.tar.compr).
Huh, thinking of it... A new tdeb uploaded by a translator overwrites
the old one? Then the +tX.diff.gz can be regenerated from the tdeb,
right?

I better stop here and wait for you to rip me up.

Hauke

[1] You have a pretty specific pattern to work on, right?
${top_srcdir}/po/
${top_srcdir}/po-*/