Re: Breaking /emul/ia32-linux for squeeze

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> This one time, at band camp, Goswin von Brederlow said:
>> Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

>> > Don't.  Specify it in apt.conf

>> > APT::Arches "i386,amd64"
>> >
>> > Or something.
>>
>> What if one repository only has i386 packages or I only want the amd64
>> ones from there?
>>
>> A global setting is a good default but this should be configurable per
>> repository too.
>
> That seems unnecessarily fine grained to me, but I'm not working on apt,
> so it's not really a direct concern of mine.  I'm only considering the
> upgrade path, and having to change sources.list is more tedious than
> having to drop a new file in apt.conf.d.

No reason not to have both.

>> The planned logic is as follows:
>
> I assume there's another discussion where this is actually discussed
> with relevant parties, since you've got as far as having a plan?

If you go back 4-6 years there will be several discussions in the
mailinglist archive.

>> > Fine.  Or maybe --arch amd64.
>>
>> apt-get install amd64/foo i386/bar powerpc/baz
>>
>> Should that have multiple --arch switches?
>
> We already use -t unstable and so on, it seems like a more natural
> extension to that.  But again, I'm not working on apt, so I'm not going
> to try to dictate how they do their work.

Neither me. Idealy I would like to have the same syntax allowed for
apt-get/aptitude command line as for Depends, Conflicts, Replaces and
Provides in debian/control.

But as said that is all just cosmetics and easily changeable untill it
is first released. The hard part is getting any one of those syntaxes
supported. The rest is just a fewlines in the commandline parser.

MfG
        Goswin