Re: BDF Considered Harmful?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:19:47AM -0700, Paul Hardy wrote:
> The only advantage is in preserving all information if (and only if)
> the original font is in BDF format.  It seemed harmless to me if the

That's not an advantage per se. Either you know that some of that
information are useful for the target user (and no, I don't consider
editing the font file to read a comment to be useful) or this whole
discussion is pointless.  If it is not broken, don't fix it.

> A BDF file can contain any number of properties describing the font
> in the header, for example CAP_HEIGHT and X_HEIGHT.  Maybe there's
> no harm in losing this information through format conversion.  I

This is a precise example of what we need to no. That "Maybe" needs to
be clarified.

Also, in your initial mail it seems to me that you reach the
conclusion that plain .bdf.gz does not work in all cases. If this is
so, we have another reason for this discussion to be pointless.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers.