Re: Pristine source from upstream VCS repository

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> It's been brought to my attention that this approach actually conflicts
> with the above section of policy.
>
> Am I right in thinking that the ‘get-orig-source’ target should ignore
> the version strings in ‘debian/changelog’, and should instead get
> whatever version is the latest available from upstream?

I think the way that you're using it is more useful (and possible) than
doing what an exact reading of the current text would indicate, and I do
the same thing that you're doing.

http://bugs.debian.org/466550 is somewhat related.

For packages with non-trivial rules to generate the upstream source
tarball used with Debian, it's very difficult or impossible to write a
future-proofed version of that cdoe that will work with arbitrary future
versions from upstream.  However, documenting the method used to generate
the *current* version will let people modify that target as needed to
package future versions.