Re: Pristine source from upstream VCS repository

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> (04/03/2009):
> How feasible is it to ensure reproducibility, though, when there is no
> canonical upstream release tarball?

Just saying that your get-orig-source stuff will not necessarily give
you the same tarball on different machines/setups/etc.

You want to look at pristine-tar to look at what can be done to do so.

> > See pristine-* for hints about things that can change between one
> > environment and another.
>
> I don't know what ‘pristine-*’ refers to there. I get no result from
> ‘apropos pristine’, so if you're referring to a command, I have no
> corresponding manpage.

| $ apt-cache search pristine
| dbs - Allows Debian source packages with multiple patches
| linux-patch-debian-2.6.28 - Debian patches to version 2.6.28 of the Linux kernel
| pristine-tar - regenerate pristine tarballs

See the last one. pristine-{gz,bz2} in particular.

Mraw,
KiBi.