Re: Transition: krb5 to drop Kerberos IV (libkrb53 restructuring)
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Transition: krb5 to drop Kerberos IV (libkrb53 restructuring)
- From: Steve Langasek <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 22:15:27 -0800
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20090302061527.GA9216@dario.dodds.net>
- Mail-followup-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <20090228141209.GE19912@rivendell>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20090228134420.GD19912@rivendell> <email@example.com> <20090228141209.GE19912@rivendell>
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 03:12:09PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> > Raphael Hertzog <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > >> debian/shlibs.local should help for that.
> > > Except symbols files have priority over shlibs and there's no
> > > symbols.local.
> > I sense a lack of flexibility in this symbols file feature, hmm.
> shlibs.local was initially a poor solution for a less than ideal
> dpkg-shlibdeps that couldn't cope with shlibs just produced by the
> packages being built.
Are you sure this was the reason? shlibs.local support was added to
dpkg-shlibdeps in 1996, which I think was before either you or I were
involved in Debian...
> You can certainly obtain a similar result nowadays by putting the
> dependency that you want in debian/control directly and by using
> the -x option of dpkg-shlibdeps to strip the dependency that you did not
Except you could *always* do this, and maintainers preferred to be able to
use shlibs.local instead. There's a difference between hard-coding the
library as a dependency for your package, and saying "for any binaries that
need lib foo, use lib bar as the dependency".
It sounds like you're unilaterally deprecating the shlibs.local feature, in
a way that is likely to cause silent breakage for packages currently using
$ find /srv/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/source -name shlibs.local | wc -l
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/