Re: Making some tags mandatory

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:01:49PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 02:42 +0100, Carsten Hey wrote:
> > Deborphan needs a way to detect shared libraries ...
> [...]
>
> There is already a role::plugin which should apply to PAM modules.

role::plugin seems to fit.  How do we ensure that all PAM, Apache, Roxen
modules, all DSPAM backends and so on must be tagged role::plugin?  Is
there some kind of debtag policy where such things can be specified?

There are other possibilities to address this issue, either
section::{libs,oldlibs,perl,...} to store the old section or a special
tag that marks the package as safely removable, for example
sepecial::safely-removable or the existing special::auto-inst-parts.
The latter is currently only partly useful for deborphan since only very
few libraries are marked with this tag:

    $ grep-debtags -sPackage -FTag special::auto-inst-parts | grep '^Package: lib' | grep -vEc 'common$|data$'
    17

Are there any plans to either tag all safely removable shared libraries
with special::auto-inst-parts or remove this tag from the ones that
already got it?

I guess all tags will be included in /var/lib/dpkg/status before
sections will be removed from Debian, is this correct?

Carsten