Re: Upcoming Section changes in the archive

Hi Stefano!

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:02:59 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:04:36AM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
>> FYI, as Aaron already showed with his list, ome packages (especially the
>> "non-library" ones) do not have the cl-* suffix.  StumpWM is missing,
>> for example.
>
> Note that the current language-oriented sections (python, perl, and
> the just proposed ocaml and ruby) are meant to contain stuff related
> to "develop" in that language. They are not meant to contain
> everything implemented in a given language.

While I agree, this could pose a major problem for e.g. compilers: CLISP
(or any other CL compiler) is used to "develop" CL applications *and* to
start them.

NB, you can create a CL "executable", but this will be a "snapshot" of
the compiler, i.e. you start the compiler, then load your application
and finally save the status as an image, which can then be loaded as a
stand-alone "executable".  However, some CL compilers (e.g. GCL and ECL)
can produce real executables.

> While it is quite clear that we are rapidly approaching the inherent
> problem of sections (i.e., they cannot be orthogonal), I believe that
> the above rule is quite agreed upon.
>
> Hence, IMHO, StumpWM should be in a section related to X11 or window
> managers, not in "lisp".

As far as this is the general case, I am fine as well.  It is just that
I would like to avoid some applications in one section and some in the
other.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca