Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

hiya zack,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:14:23AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Well, it depends on how dpkg currently handles merges. My impression
> (as a user, never looked at the actual code) is that it not even tries
> to merge, it simply discovers that the local file is not pristine and
> then asks the user. On the contrary, every VCS I'm aware of at least
> _tries_ a merge, "succeeding" when changes do not affect the same
> patch hunk.

it can't do a merge currently, because it doesn't have the common
ancestor available to do a 3-way diff.

> Of course that would mean that dpkg should be made aware of the
> difference between the last pristine configuration file installed on
> the machine, and the configuration file the package being installed is
> shipping.

if you go about a year back or so in the dpkg-mailing lists/bts (or
look in the debian wiki, there's references there somewhere) you'll see
some stuff i proposed--including a working patch.  unfortunately this
never seemed to amount to much and didn't keep the interest of the relevant
dpkg maintainer.

	sean