Re: Is the FHS dead ?

Russ Allbery wrote:
Luke L <lukehasnoname@gmail.com> writes:

Something to think about: Shouldn't SQL databases and web servers, and
file servers, be under /srv/? /srv/www, /srv/mysql, /srv/smb, etc.?

The current FHS reserves /srv's namespace for the local administrator.  My
guess is that people won't want to go back on that promise and start
allocating namespace in the standard.

I don't agree.

for mysql: no binary file compatibility with other sql server, so /var/lib/
is still the right location.

for www: since a lot of time, http supports virtual domain, and it is a common
practice. So putting something in /srv/www could not be what a sysadmin expect.

so I see only /srv/ftp (maybe few others) protocol that could use a standardized
/srv.

BTW, I prefer, for security:
- no package put things into public accessible places. sysadmin should choose
  what and where to put such things.
  [1]
- no anonymous ftp by default

So there is no more need to discuss how Debian should allocate /srv/.

ciao
	cate

[1] IMHO also MTA should not allow incoming mail, until sysadmin set
explicitly what domain to "accept" (I don't trust to domain set at Debian
installation time, and I don't want spammer to try the default domains).
(Note: "postmaster" doesn't need domain, but I think until MTA is full
configured, we could ignore such point of RFC).