Re: Test suites after build and Build-Depends.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> Le Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 09:00:46AM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>> What this is saying is that substvars will be expanded by those three
>> programs when generating the *.dsc, the *.changes, and the binary
>> control files.  However, while build dependency information is copied
>> into the *.dsc file, my understanding is that it's not read from that
>> file for package builds.  Build dependency information is read directly
>> from debian/control and hence cannot get the benefit of any
>> pre-processing of debian/control.  See dpkg-source(1) under the
>> description of the -c option.

> I am not sure I understand. From reading the man page of dpkg-source, it
> seems to me that:
>
>  - The 'control' file is used to generate the .dsc file.
>  - The location of the 'control' file is debian/control by default, but this
>    can be changed with the -c option.
>
> I have not found evidence in the documentation nor in the source that
> the building of the .dsc file is a two-step process as you describe.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.  You are correct that substvars
are used in generating the .dsc file.  What I was pointing out is that the
.dsc file isn't used for anything related to the build, so this doesn't
help you.  The build of the package ignores the .dsc file and uses
debian/control directly.

> I still do not understand what makes it "nonsense" to use substvars for
> the generation of the .dsc and .changes file.

It isn't.  It just doesn't help with the problem that you're trying to
solve.