Re: percentage of popcon submitters

On Friday 16 January 2009 15:42:38 Neil Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:21:29 +0000
>
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > In that case, I'm probably responsible to thousands of 'installations'
>
> OK, that's an exaggeration but it's certainly hundreds since Etch.

This is true, but I imagine that this could be alleviated by taking into
account some popular file modification time, like /etc/debian_version? If
found to be young enough, then we can count that as a throw-awayer we don't
care about, otherwise it is a valid entry, no matter how and for what reasons
the installation has been created.

Still, I don't see a good way to measure non-internetworked users (imagine
here evil authorities, secret labs, mysterious scientists performing evil
calculations, etc;-) and those who just answered "no" to popcon's question.
We can easily ignore the former (since they are in the 'No Such Entity'
subset anyway;-), but the latter matters, and are still adding uncertainty to
the equation.

It is most likely that the more we beat that, the more unknown quantities will
be brought to the scene, hence why bother ;-)