Re: percentage of popcon submitters

[2009-01-16 05:59] Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:00:04PM +0100, markus schnalke wrote:
> > I know it is not possible to _know_ the real percentage of uses which
> > submit popcon stats of all users. But I want to ask for guesses,
> > because more oppinions do likely improve the result.
>
>        This question of trying to figure out whether a book is good or bad by
>   looking at it carefully or by taking the reports of a lot of people who
>   looked at it carelessly is like this famous old problem: Nobody was
>   permitted to see the Emperor of China, and the question was, What is the
>   length of the Emperor of China's nose? To find out, you go all over the
>   country asking people what they think the length of the Emperor of China's
>   nose is, and you average it. And that would be very "accurate" because you
>   averaged so many people. But it's no way to find anything out; when you have
>   a very wide range of people who contribute without looking carefully at it,
>   you don't improve your knowledge of the situation by averaging.
>
>                        -- Richard P. Feynman, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Good point, but one may refer to the Delphi method:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_method

However, the answers I received actually helped my. Not because they
were estimations, but because they were comments for what to keep in
mind.

In any way, I believe more oppinions do improve results, but not by
telling numbers one can average, but by showing how others see the
situation. This widens the own view.

meillo