Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 04:52:40PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I think that we should not just assume that the developers think
>  that violating the DFSG is acceptable just to release a new version. I

Sure, but we shouldn't assume the contrary either, and it seems to me
that a lot of participants in this thread did precisely that.

>         The tools do not make decisions, people do. I also think that
>  the foundation documents codify what the core values for the project
>  are. If the release team is drifting away from the foundation
>  documents, I think they are drifting away from the project at large, by
>  definition.

But why nobody is making these very same arguments to the maintainer
of their packages or to the FTP masters FWIW? According to these
arguments they are drifting as away as the RMs. Either this is
actually so (which I don't believe), or as Dato said the general
feeling about these issues agrees with them RMs.

>         If the social contract and the whole freedom thing have become
>  passe, and the project members think so, we should then pass a GR
>  deleting the SC and the DFSG, and just ship whatever is convenient. I
>  am not sure I would still want to be part of the project that does
>  that, though.

Please, don't get epic.

Truth is that this is yet another case where I would like to see more
a poll (still authenticated with devotee) to feel the general feelings
of DDs, more than a GR with a decision which would actually be a
pretest just to understand the general feeling.

Maybe Jeroen which did that in the past can fire up a poll on the fly?
The question would be as simple as: «do you agree with RMs about
tagging lenny-ignore bugs LIST_OF_BUGS_WITH_URLS?».

I'm quite sure the answer would be «yes», but here I'm entering myself
the guesswork terrain which permeates this thread.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
Dietro un grande uomo c'è sempre /oo\ All one has to do is hit the right