Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 19:22 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 20 octobre 2008 à 16:34 +0200, Robert Millan a écrit :
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 04:21:24PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > What if, instead of ranting everywhere, you actually contributed code to
> > > fix these bugs?
> >
> > I did...
>
> And you deserve kudos for that.
>
> But still, it is unrealistic to ask, so late in the release process,
> to introduce several thousand-lines patches in the kernel, even if they
> finally exist (and AFAIK there are not patches for all these bugs).

These patches exist, and they change less than a thousand lines in
total.  Here's the state of things:

driver     bug     "source" file(s)             licence            action
cassini    498631  net/cassini.h                GPLv2              remove
dabusb     502663  media/video/dabfirmware.h    BSDish             move (dabusb)
dsp56k     494010  char/dsp56k.c                GPLv2              add source
e100       494308  net/e100.c                   BSDish             move (e100)
kaweth     502665  net/usb/kawethfw.h           GPLv2              remove
mga        502666  char/drm/mga_ucode.h         MIT                move (matrox)
qla1280    502667  scsi/ql1{2160,040,280}_fw.h  GPLv2              remove
r128       494007  char/drm/r128_cce.c          MIT                move (ati)
radeon     494009  char/drm/radeon_microcode.h  MIT                move (ati)
starfire   501152  net/starfire_firmware.h      unmodified redist  move (adaptec)
tehuti     501153  net/tehuti_fw.h              GPLv2              remove
typhoon    502669  net/typhoon-firmware.h       unmodified redist  move (3com)
whiteheat  502668  usb/serial/whiteheat_fw.h    GPLv2              remove

"Action" is what my changes would do.  If the licence requires source
distribution, remove.  If the licence allows binary-only distribution,
move to firmware-nonfree (the names given are the package names minus
the leading "firmware-".  In the case of dsp56k we can provide the
source.  In fact Robert has been working to provide a package of the
assembler for the source.

The modified linux-2.6 and firmware-nonfree source packages, and the
linux-source-2.6.26 and firmware-* binary packages, can be found in:
http://people.debian.org/~benh/firmware-removal/

Please test them if you can.  I have only been able to test the radeon
changes myself.

Ben.

PS: I've now managed to find firmware for qla1280
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/microcode/isp/>,
tehuti
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/microcode/tht/> and
kaweth <http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/KLSI/4.0/kue_fw.h> under a
4-clause BSD licence, so they are candidates for firmware-nonfree after
all.  The BSD driver for Cassini doesn't have the Saturn firmware patch
and there seems to be no BSD driver for Whiteheat.