Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

Hi,

        This email is an edited excerpt from Sven Luther, sent via
 private email. I am sending in a version I am happy to defend posting,
 and will try to convey as much of what Sven said as I am comfortable
 forwarding. I have marked where I paraphrased what Sven said.

        manoj

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:55:00AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 11:43 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> >         Actually, I think we need a GR on the lines of
>> > ,----
>> > `----

>> >         To get a special dispensation for lenny.

>> I think this would be insane.  It smacks of the nonsense of the US
>> Congress extending copyright over and over again, always for a "limited
>> term", but such that the terms just never actually expire.

>> I object to a second round of this.  I was ok with it once, as a
>> compromise, but the understanding I had then was that it was a one-time
>> thing, to give time to actually *fix* the problem.

>> The kernel team should *fix the bug* and not just sit on their hands.
>> We should not release until it's fixed.

>> But the continued dishonesty of holding out one set of principles and
>> guarantees, while granting ourselves exceptions on every release, is
>> not tolerable to me.

> Well, what do you expect ? When we last have this discussion, the
> actual GR which the kernel team wanted to be something we could use to
> actually work on this issue, and as a statement of fact for hardware
> manufacturers.

<paraphrase> However, the GR that was passed differed significantly from
<paraphrase> that. Because of that, and the fact that the kernel team
<paraphrase> lost members and is stretched thin, it is no wonder that
<paraphrase> nobody did take the torch up and fix the issue until now.

--
The Czechs announced after Sputnik that they, too, would launch a
satellite. Of course, it would orbit Sputnik, not Earth!