Re: Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged ‘lenny-ignore’?

Hi everyone, <--- will be referred to as "you"

Stephen Gran said:
> This one time, at band camp, Robert Millan said:
> > On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 08:41:16AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > >
> > >         Has the current release team lowered the bar on Debian actually
> > >  trying to follow the social contract?
> >
> > Yes, they have.
> >
> > Furthermore, the FTP team (which is supposed to be in charge of DFSG
> > enforcement) has decided to look the other way:
> >
> >   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497823
>
> I'm not sure that an unanswered email means they are condoning it.  It
> just means they're not talking to you.
... with a CC to that bug report.

I queried Robert on IRC and told him that he does not have a realistic
scenario of fixing the bug and that he would need to come up with a
working NMUable patch to in order to even have a viable proposition to
move things forward.[1]

What are the release and ftp team supposed to do here? Sure, I can
type in "dak rm linux-2.6" and see what happens except the www.d.o
pseudopackage receiving a bug about removing me from the
FTP-Assistants list. Disposing of the luggage that is each
supplementaryGid line in LDAP would enable me to move on to happier
projects more easily.[2]

As Robert himself says, these bugs have been known for four years.
They are RC, if you did not prepare an NMU should ask yourself why you
did not and stop pretending that it is the release or ftp team's
responsibility to fix the RC bugs that you are not fixing.
The options from a FTP or release point of view are exactly keep
stuff, drop stuff, replace stuff by better stuff. That better stuff
needs to be available, though, and you are as much to blame for that
as everyone else.

Kind regards

T.

1. And yes, the bug about e100 (#494308) contains an unanswered
   question by Robert. But to me it reads as "Do you want a patch that
   does not work or a longer one that actually works?" which without
   doubt has not been answered because it is a deep philosophical
   question and puzzling everyone who ever looked at that bug to the
   point where they have to cease all activity on RC bugs and relax by
   enjoying a decent flamewar on debian-devel.

2. Every single time I look at the RC bug list, my first thought is
   about my exit strategy before I am even able to start considering
   the bug at hand.
   My pet flamewar would be about quality in Debian and whether the
   DAM needs to designate some people as Developers who do not
   maintain packages, but I can restrain myself enough to wait until
   after the release.
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/