Packaging shell functions

Hi,

I'm packaging a little tool called vared. Vared relies on some shell
functions and/or aliases that must have been sourced into the
environment before usage. What may be the best pratice to package
such shell functions?

First approch is to put the shell code somewhere under
/usr/share/vared and let the rest up to the user. If she wants to use
vared she needs to source the shell code suitable for her shell
somehow. Second approach is to extend the default config files of the
supported shells in the /etc directory. Hm, sounds very ugly to me and
it doesn't really do the job. AFAIK we have no generalized mechanism
like the one provided by the tcsh (do a foreach in a certain directory
and source all contained files)?

Michael

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html