Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

>> So the obvious solution seems to me then to build ncurses twice,
>> providing both libncurses5 and libncurses6 packages. What point do I miss?
>>
> The crashes that will happen when both are loaded in a process's address
> space.

Which is the case when:

 - a library (libfoo0) is linked to libncurses5
 - a program links to both libfoo0 and libncurses5
 - the library is recompiled to link against libncurses6

Can we avoid that case by enforcing such libraries to change its package
name (libfoo0 -> libfoo0a) in order to force dependening programs to be
recompiled?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4