Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:

[+dickey]

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
So the obvious solution seems to me then to build ncurses twice,
providing both libncurses5 and libncurses6 packages. What point do I miss?

The crashes that will happen when both are loaded in a
process's address space.
... and they couldn't add mouse-wheel support without breaking ABI ?

AFAICT, the issue is that there aren't enough bits in an int to express
all the button events in the same way as before.  The new ABI reshuffles
the bits to make more room.

that, and the extended colors.

It should be possible to make this change in a less invasive way.

Then in that case, it should be possible for someone to submit a patch
which does that.

A possible problem case is: an app built against version X of ncurses
tries to load a shared library built against version X+1 of ncurses.

...and some do, and some don't use libtic and/or libterm.

I didn't see any recent discussion about abi stability
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-ncurses
If there is a realistic problem case, perhaps we should also discuss it there.
- Dan

I don't recall anyone mentioning it recently (other than this thread, for example). The ABI=6 code's been there a few years.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net