Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 14:39 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
Indeed, what would this imply for our LSB compatibility?

http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/libncurses.html

seems to say libncurses.so.5 is the required one, will we lose LSB
compatibility if we start shipping libncurses.so.6 instead?

Upstream is doing that change; ncurses can't be forever stalled because
of LSB, you see. So, as far as I know, what will be needed is for the
LSB to be updated, at some point, and while this isn't done, and perhaps
for some time after that, distributions will need to keep on shipping
libncurses.so.5 along with .so.6, when LSB compatibility is needed.

LSB will follow what upstream is doing once it's widespread in distros. Hopefully they'll all make the same choice, or we will have a problem. The need for .so.5 won't go away since there's always a backward compatibility requirement, but normally bumping the so-version means they can coexist. Julien is suggesting this is not so? Does one ever have multiple curses programs managing the same screen concurrently?
Don't even think that makes sense.