Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

* Josselin Mouette [Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:59:33 +0200]:

> Le mercredi 17 septembre 2008 à 13:37 +0100, Adeodato Simó a écrit :
> >   OR

> >   * introduce a ncurses5 source package. Then not all 400 packages need
> >     to go into testing at the same time, they just can trickle as they
> >     get built. This would be very good, *and* we'd work together with
> >     you to ensure such source package disappears before Squeeze (we'd
> >     w-b massage, you'd file bugs for FTBFS, and NMU as necessary). (¹)

> Given that symbols in libncurses are not versioned, this looks like a
> very dangerous thing to do. Even in other cases, you’re probably going
> to run into crasher bugs in unstable, unless libncurses6 is made to
> conflict with all libraries depending on libncurses5.

Meh, I forgot we have libraries linking against ncurses (of course,
silly me).

The worrysome bit are not the crashes on unstable, but them propagating
to testing. Even if we'd rebuild all libraries first, and then their
rev-deps that depend on ncurses as well, there's no easy way to ensure
that'd transition to testing together.

Merde.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

He who has not a good memory should never take upon himself the trade of lying.
                -- Michel de Montaigne