Re: Headsup: ncurses soname bump 5 to 6

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Then why are you asking maintainers to blindly change their build-depends to
> point to it?

please read.. #230990.

i could have done this by bumping soname minor (from 5.6.0 to 5.7.0),
however, upstream says:

"That _might_ work - though binary-compatible stuff I thought required
it to be a change to the major-version (which is why I've got the
configure script using 6.0 for this and the extended colors feature)."

or in other words: soname 6 in debian will therefore be not compatible,
as it introduces both --enable-ext-mouse and --enable-ext-colors. also,
the wide builds will dissappear.

however.. please just adjust your build-depends and everythings going to
be fine.. and there will a bunch of uploads to experimental first until
everything is settled, please comment further when there are actual
packages available (in exp) to discuss.

Thanks,
Daniel