Re: Good times with md, ReiserFS, and /usr unmountable

[Ken Teague]
> 1. Why isn't reiserfsprogs a dependency of the kernel image that has
> support for it?  Shouldn't all file system tools be dependent if the
> kernel being pushed out to the box supports said file system?

No, that would require a lot of stuff on most Debian systems that we
don't need now.  The question I'd have is, how did you manage to create
the filesystem in the first place?

> 2. Why is apt-get and dpkg under /usr?  Shouldn't they belong under
> /sbin?

You guessed the right answer: those tools need too much stuff that
doesn't belong on the root filesystem.  The whole /var/lib/dpkg
hierarchy, for example.

> any info on how I can recover from this would be greatly appreciated.

I would boot a CD that includes recovery tools.  I'm not sure whether
Debian Live includes reiserfsprogs, but that's one place to start
looking.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/