Re: pbuilder and debhelper: Test suite run before dependencies satisfied

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Howdy mentors,

Uh, wrong list? This is debian-devel.

> Why does 'dh build' attempt to run the package's test suite, but
> doesn't satisfy the build dependencies before doing so? How can this
> be made to work within a 'pbuilder' environment?

dh build should be run from debian/rules build, which means that the
build-depends are satisfied. Test suite depends usually go in the
build-depends.

> Yet, when I attempt to 'pdebuild' this package, it runs the 'build'
> target of 'debian/rules', which runs 'dh build', which runs
> 'dh_auto_test', which runs the application unit test suite. At this
> point in the process, though, the pbuilder environment does not have
> the package dependencies installed, so the unit test suite fails,
> failing the 'pdebuild'.

That cannot be right. pbuilder runs debian/rules clean outside the
chroot, enters the chroot, installs build-deps, unpacks the source and
runs dpkg-buildpackage, which runs debian/rules build and debian/rules
binary.

--
bye,
pabs