Re: automatic bug filing by test robot

On 27/08/08 at 22:10 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Also, if you have any comments about the format of the email,
> supporting references, etc., that would be helpful.

I think that we have a problem with the way we export data from
automated tests. Consensus is (I think) that bugs should not be filed
automatically, unless the person filing the bugs is reasonably sure of
the validity of the bugs, the lack of duplicate bugs, etc. I agree with
that.

Maybe you should focus on providing the data in a machine-parseable
format, and write a seperate tool that would allow to gather data from
all the tests we are running (I can think of lintian and piuparts, at
least), and display all the results on a nice web page, with all the
cool features one can think of.

So far, everybody has been reinventing the wheel, and that results in
http://piuparts.cs.helsinki.fi/ and http://lintian.debian.org/.