Re: Upcoming changes to supported architectures

On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 11:32 +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 05:25:38AM +0000, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > So the current architectures I see wishlist bugs for on ftp.d.o are s390x,
> > sh[34]{,eb}, netbsd-i386, and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64}.
> >
> > Which of these are currently in a more releasable state than hurd-i386?
>
>   kfreebsd has a fully working toolchain, and has a very good linux
> emulation layer which (modulo a relibtoolization for the harder cases)
> theorically allow an excellent archive coverage. Additionnally, having
> kfreebsd brings ZFS to Debian FWIW.

Unfortunately, ZFS is not currently available in GNU/kFreeBSD, but,
depending on licensing issues, could possibly be supported eventually.

On the subject of the Linux compat layer; it's not being used for
porting purposes, and probably never will.
kfreebsd-{i386|amd64} uses a proper, ported Glibc, so there won't be any
sort of support for just dropping in a GNU/Linux package and having the
emulation layer handle it.

In regard to a 'releasable state', kfreebsd-i386 is indeed getting very
close.

--
Joshua Cummings