Re: Can a package modify slapd.conf in its maintainer script?

* 2008-08-10 21:09, Carsten Hey wrote:
> | 11.7.4 Sharing configuration files

> | The maintainer scripts must not alter a conffile of any package,
> | including the one the scripts belong to.
>
> It is not a conffile, so this is not a problem.

This is the exact sentence which keeps me thinking that this is not an RC
bug, or maybe not a bug at all until slapd does provide a script for
handling updates.

> The whole procedure *should* be done, so this is not a must.  Is there
> a valid reason in this particular circumstance to ignore the
> recommendation of the policy?

The package slapd doesn't provide any updater script, but without adding
the schema in slapd.conf phamm can't work so the package is unusable. What
the maintainer would like to have (I'm only sponsoring the package) is that
the user could use phamm directly after an "aptitude install phamm" without
having to read documentation or changing configuration files.

> Do you unterstand the full implications and did you carefully weighed
> your decision to alter the other packages configuration file (see quoted
> part of the RFC)? Is the other packages maintainer aware of the changes
> you do in his or her configuration file?

I think the slapd's maintainer should provide a way to add additional
schemas, and this is an old problem which has been discussed in the past.

Best regards,

--
Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@debian.org>                        .''`.
Proud Debian GNU/Linux developer, admin and user.            : :'  :