Re: ITP: debian-backports-keyring -- GnuPG archive key of the backports.org repository

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 09:00 -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > OK, that said, if you wanted to modify a public key (in order to obtain
> > something else), what form would you use for making modifications?
> > I think the preferred form would be the one in which the GPG public key
> > is distributed by keyservers or some other equivalent form (which may
> > be losslessly obtained from the distribution form).
>
> Wouldn't the preferred form for modification be the number that's used to
> generate both the private and public key?

You never want to "modify" those numbers - if there's something wrong
with them you generate new ones at random.

It seems to me that the only things you might want to modify about the
keys are the identities on a public key and the signatures on those, and
the preferred form for doing that would presumably be the one that's
published.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.