Re: RFC: ODBC, local changes to config files, and policy

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> However, this has never been enabled by default because the odbcinst
> interface is very basic, with the result that on every upgrade any local
> modifications to the config for this driver would be lost.  The debconf
> question is also not shown at the default priority in order to not clutter
> the installation process.
[...]
> Short of rearchitecting odbcinst to require an exact config match before
> update/removal (which would lose us the ability to manage driver config
> updates in any case), can anyone suggest a way to enable this by default
> while still complying with policy?  Am I being more cautious than warranted
> in this case where local user changes are concerned?

I am in a situation which is somewhat (so not completely) similar, and I
am thinking about a solution involving ucf. In you case, you would
ship a copy of the configuration file in /usr/share, let the driver
logic act on a temporary copy this file, and then install it using
ucf. If there are no local changes, it will just be installed. If there
are some, the user is asked a question they can probably understand
(because the differences involve the driver and the changes they made
themselves). You could even use ucf's --three-way option for merging
changes.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster