Re: Considerations for lilo removal

Riku Voipio wrote:
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:12:53AM -0400, David Duggins wrote:
I would also have to say that the Linux Community has always been about freedom and choice.

Not everyone agrees[1] about the choice part.

Having one well working tool is better than having multiple mediocre,
buggy tools to choose from.

mediocre buggy tools?

It work very nice on some configuration, and
it very simple.

Should we remove all text editor that doesn't
have "doctor" mode, because some of us use such
bloated module?

Really: lilo is simple and good for some configuration,
and is more KISS designed that grub.

And the transition cost?
Should we learn a new tools in next few months?
grub (and any boot loader) are very important: a
miss-configuration, miss-handle cause a non
bootable system, and it is also very different
to other sysadmin commands, thus switching
cost are very high, and our users (IMHO) are
not ready for such costs.

Let obsolete it for few years, but I consider
removal of lilo in lenny one of the worse RC bug
I saw.

ciao
	cate