Re: 37.5% boot time reduction in Lenny is possible (recipe)

Hello!

Thanks for an interesting post! It seems insserv has come quite some
way since late last year when I tried to use it last time.

I tried your tips on a workstation (indy) and a laptop (atropos) and
in the end it resulted in going from 34 to 14 and from 57 to 27
seconds respectively. (That would be more than 50% in both cases.)

I applied the optimisations you outlined one by one with boots between
each (except making dash /bin/sh as I'd done that already). They are
available at:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~qha/bootcharts/

The filenames indicate what step was performed before each boot.

(By the way, bringing them up with iceweasel doesn't show all the text
in them so I'd recommend downloading and viewing them with gthumb or
whatever you prefer.)

As you can see readahead actually increase the boot time for me in
both cases so I uninstalled that package.

[ If you write something you'd like me to respond to please reply off
list as well as I don't follow Debian devel regularly. ]

Best regards
/Ulrik Haugen